Tuesday, March 8, 2011

I just bought some dumb t-shirts







Yeah, yeah... I know. They are those psuedo-ironic, ripping off vintage, trying to be clever kind of shirts. Vintage ironic shirts had their heyday circa 2000, in those glorious days where no one went to Salvation Armies because they were rightfully embarrassed to step into them.

Those brave, shameless few made them cool. Then people caught on, and like locusts, they descended to these virgin fields of fashion and consumed. Thrift stores soon became picked through to the point where nothing decent was left behind.

Then it became mainstream. Lazy bros started buying these things full price. Wise business types started making them ultra-ironic, and increased the lewd factor. Soon, vintage ironic t-shirt style was looked upon negatively.

Well, if you look into the Narnia-like depths of my wardrobe, you'll find those vintage shirts, jackets, etc. from those halcyon days of the early 2000's. Though they've been stretched out, stained, washed too many times, burned with cigarettes, or just plain falling apart... they are still damn cool to me.

But I need new shirts. And it's summer. I've muted myself with solid colored tees for way too long (I've got like 3 dozen black t-shirts). I like fake ties and tuxedos. I like looking at my innards when I look at my shirt. And goddamnit, I like wild life.

It's like playing a recently made version of a classic guitar... it may not be exactly the same, but it's the closest I'll get. So don't judge--this dude needed new duds.

No comments:

Post a Comment